I have neither the time nor the talent to be an actual book reviewer, but I decided to try something a little different on this here ol' blog of mine. And I figure, hell, it is my blog, I should be able to do with it as I please. What follows is a review, if you will, of a book I quite liked...
So, I just finished reading Run by Ann Patchett. Earlier I read an interview with her and she talked about how all of her stories are plot driven and how she thinks that is her strength as a writer and she wishes her writing could be more beautiful.
Well, I get that we got our English degrees at different schools and everything, but we have very different ideas about what plot driven means.
I don't think it is the plot that drives her books (I've read Run and Bel Canto), but the characters. She creates such vivid characters that I can swear I know these people. Once more, I really care about what happens to them. The book is far from what I would call a page turner, and yet I can't put it down.
In regards to the beauty of her writing, I completely disagree with her self assessment. One of the things that is most striking to me about her writing is that it has an almost poetic quality.
So, yeah, it is good. You should add it to your list.
Sunday, January 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment